What is the Interior Design trends for 2022? Interior Designer, Tiffany Nguyen, answers common questions and shares the Interior Design trends she is most excited about in 2022.
Watch Video Version HERE
Podcast Version coming March 2022.
1. Is gray going out of style?
This Interior Design trend for 2022 is still going strong.
The short answer, No. The complexity and sophistication gray brings to each color and space is something to be desired still. You will see a shift from the cooler gray (those having a blue base) to the warm grey (those with a yellow base) and soft warm whites as the neutral wall color selection.
All over Instagram the photos trending show more warm white palettes than grey. However, when one wishes to add depth and a darker neutral tone the warm gray is to the rescue!
Even a punch of dark color will be nature inspired. So the grey tones of a natural boulder in nature will be brought inside on the walls for a dramatic contrast.
- And oh! -by the way – this is one of my favorite ways to easily transform a space from wispy to stunning!
And for the long answer, no it is not out of style. Even though warm whites are inching their way in, the grey tones are mixed into all of the 2022 chosen colors by all the experts in the field, Sherwin-Williams, Benjamin Moore, Valspar, and Dunn-Edwards. (Keep reading for 2022’s color forecast.)
So it’s actually stealing the spotlight out of all the tones!
Recommended Video for you. OCSIB
2. Color Trends for 2022
This years Interior Design Trends for 2022 for your wall colors are “Fifty Shades of Green.” Greens are overall the main color of the year for nearly all paint companies. The nature inspired colors are the overall color scheme for 2022. All the color’s of the year from each vendor.
This upcoming 2022 Color Forecast is going to make you want to curl up with a blanket, a cup of tea and a good book!
The warm calming hues of nature ground us as we venture on into another year, post pandemic, continuing to enjoy the outdoors, and create a sanctuary in our homes for rest and rejuvenation. Which is needed no matter what invisible enemy we face, as we must balance the hustle and bustle of society with the quiet calm and restful time in life.
In the order of my favorite to least, the top picks are :
- Evergreen Fog by Sherwin Williams. (They just have the perfect grey blend in their colors to represent a rich and graceful color on your walls.) This color is trending because it is a very soothing color to our eye and mind. Reminding us of the beautiful leaves of nature and with its complex blend of gray undertones it feels rich and gives your space a feel of a spa retreat. The full color palette is bursting with warmth.
- Art and Craft by Dunn-Edwards. Sarah McLean writes “is a timeless, versatile hue that beckons us to revisit the classics. It evokes an earthy, sophisticated quality—the perfect backdrop for showcasing handmade objects and works of art.” A new renaissance is here in 2022 and our appreciation for nature brings with it a newfound desire to know where our products come from, and the processes used to make them. They have included a gorgeously emotive video to share how this color was inspired to be 2022 color of the year.
- Mountain River by Valspar. Runners up: Grey Suit, Fired Earth Guilded Linen. The deep watery blue of Mountain River is trending because in the chaos and busy, it brings us back to the calming familiarity of water. The deep blue hue has a grounding energy that makes you feel at home in your space.
- October Mist by Benjamin Moore. It is very similar to my favorite Evergreen Fog, but in a shade lighter. It brings such an Earthy feel to the space. This color is trending because it is a very soothing color to our eye and mind. Reminding us of the beautiful leaves of nature. Make room for creativity. Evoking the silver-green stem of a flower, October Mist creates a canvas for other colors -and your imagination – to blossom.
- Breezeway by Behr. In 2022 “we have a desire to embrace a sense of renewal and to explore new hobbies or adventures.” says Erika Woelfel. Breezeway “evokes feelings of coolness and peace while representing a desire to move forward and discover newfound passions.” While this is the only “cool”, yet it’s still in the warm family, color of the year, it is aligned with the theme of all the others drawing from nature that grounds us and brings us peace – the ocean.
- Laurel Leaf. A NEW* first color of the year for Better Homes and Gardens! Sold through Walmart. Again during the Pandemic more people took to the outdoors to exercise, relax, and safely breathe in fresh air. This “dusty green shade mimics the rejuvenating appeal of eucalyptus leaves and reflects a renewed desire to incorporate elements of nature into our homes.” Jessica Bennett writes.
3. Farmhouse style gets elevated
Is farmhouse going out of style?
No. Going back to our roots collectively is still going strong. Especially in 2022 with the United States Pluto return bringing transformation and revisiting why we were established in the first place. This just brings a deep longing for the good elements of the farm living of the past yet you will see a transformed way of using materials.
Expect to see furnishings, flooring and architectural elements that use environmentally-friendly materials such as; reclaimed wood, cork, bamboo, jute, glass, recycled plastic and metal. Sustainable has been trending for awhile and it continues to be on-trend for 2022. As it should, every part we can do for the Earth, the better.
What is replacing farmhouse? Country Chic. So a bit of bling and sophistication will be all the rage. And I don’t see why not! It’s the same gorgeous clean country look with loads of white, cream and earth tones. However instead of a simple detail, the french style chandeliers are used, and elegant linens, and the pops of tasseled pillows and mercury metal accessories are used.
4. What is up and coming in Interior design trends for 2022?
Natural & Eco Friendly
“Interior design trends seem to be taking a more eco-friendly approach as people are moving towards warm tones and natural elements. Decor elements made either from real or faux natural materials are in high demand, as they add a natural and authentic look to your space.” -foyer.com
Sustainability and Green certified has been talked about since the early 2000’s. Now it is time it be available to the masses, and on the forefront of our minds when it comes to our home projects. Where is the wood sourced you are purchasing? Where is the furniture made ? Is the foam made of recycled material? All of these have an impact on our planet and it’s time we paid attention. I will write a future blog on this topic, but for now I will list some sustainable home decor brands you need to know about.
- Buffy.co- Queen Cloud Comforter. Waste-free eco friendly made from recyclable bottles or sustainably grown eucalyptus.
- Coyuchi.com- Towels. Made with organically-grown, minimally-processed materials. Plus you when you’re done you can recycle them back to the company and swap them out for new picks.
- ethanallen.com – Sofas. Made to order, translating into zero waste.
5. Shiplap is out?
Is shiplap out of style?
It may not be out of style. However, it is not trending anymore. It is still a classic facelift on the plain drywall in a farmhouse chic design.
“Tile, plaster, rattan, or living walls of plants are becoming more popular this year, instead.” (insider.com)
6. What color wood is hot in interior design trends for 2022?
Is Dark wood out of style?
No! greenwayfurniture.co.uk says “Sales of dark wood furniture are on the rise and, whilst woods such as mahogany will always have their place if you’re seeking a very traditional style, walnut furniture is certainly leading the charge for the dark woods.”
Is natural wood in style?
Absolutely. With the natural eco being in the forefront of the home industry, natural is a much desired lighter option. It allows the natural beauty of the wood to show through and a raw look is much desired.
7. What color cabinets are in style?
Cabinetry painted color is trending in strong colors to add character and interest to your neutral walls.
One of our favorite kitchens that we designed is a dual tone painted cabinet. With the pop of color in the kitchen, it is making a big splash in the kitchen industry. It’s beautiful and anchoring amongst the vast neutral colored walls in the home.
8. Is wallpaper in for 2022?
As a designer, wallpaper is always in style. It is another creative way to add interest, depth and character to an otherwise boring drywall. Because the interior design trends for 2022 will be eco inspired and bringing nature of the Earth to the forefront, the wallpaper in 2022 will be inspired by nature.
“Jungle, tropical and leaf style wallpapers will be trending” says Milton & King.
Natural textures such as grasscloth, luxe metallics, or cork will be another favorite. States designer Rudolph Diesel in House Beautiful.
Florals will be chosen, including Earth tones, and across the board clients will lean into their bold choices of vibrant colors of nature scenes. This year being the Water Tiger in Chinese Astrology, do not be surprised if you yourself choose a bold teal water scene from nature for an accent wall.
Lean into your wild side and go for it!
Check out 16 best places to buy wallpaper online at House Beautiful
9. Healthy Homes Must Have…
With the continuation of the threat of germs and Covid 19 not being gone or dealing with it over. This year we will be challenged to remain vigilant in keeping our loved ones and ourselves in our sanctuaries clean and healthy.
A dry and clean home is a healthy home. Dry being a mold free home. Tips for keeping your home healthy are:
- Air purifier
- Sufficient ventilation, check for moisture on windows. (if so replace windows the seal is broken)
- Add mats on both sides of your doors.
- Air out dry cleaning
- Keep trash far from entries
- Wash hands regularly
- Create a cleaning schedule to do daily chores in bite size
- Clean surfaces with rubbing alcohol or disinfectant regularly
- Purchase Eco friendly home products
- Find 3 ways to tend to your mental health
10. Bathroom Trends for this year
These are the bathroom trends that will dominate this year.
- Black fixtures
- Bold wallpaper
- Bathroom suites
- Spa Aesthetics
- Organic elements such as plants and marble
- Vintage Furniture
- Touchless faucets
- Multipurpose storage
- Smart mirrors
- White and grey color classics for materials with pops of spa or bold green
This concludes our summary of 2022’s Home Renovation and Design Trends.
Stay tuned for the Feng Shui blog to know which zones of your house NOT to renovate during 2022.
We have a brand new IG account. Please screenshot your favorite part of this blog and add to your stories and tag us @sanctuary.oc.interiors to help our community of home inspiration grow.
Don’t forget to follow for more inspiration and tips!
If you are starting your home design project and need a quote for design help or bathroom / kitchen remodel, we are here to help!
Receive more expert design advice directly to your inbox. And receive a free gorgeous E-Magazine.
OCSIB Blog is for sharing design education & inspiration with you.
Tiffany Nguyen is a mom of two, business partner with her husband, Kim, and Interior Designer at OC Sanctuary Interior Design & Bath, a home improvement and design studio. As a homeowner she understands the importance of keeping your investment in good condition. She loves Coastal Farmhouse Chic style, writing about home renovation and interior design, and living a family oriented, healthy, and grateful life.
8 Clever Pantry organization ideas and tips. Do you struggle to find food in your pantry? Or buy duplicates when you already had that food item? In this blog you will eliminate your food waste and save money by learning clever ways to organize your pantry shelves so they feel bigger! 1. Start with a clean slate 2. Take inventory 3. Purchase clear containers 4. Buy spice rack 5. Utilize doors 6. use baskets on shelves for small items 7. Make a kid friendly shelf or drawer 8. Label
Do you need inspiration to design your bedroom in the farmhouse style? We got ideas for you! How to decorate a chic farmhouse style bedroom idea board with a list of where to shop and find the ingredients to create the design.
In a time where life is not so peaceful, it’s no wonder the colors announced for 2022 are nature inspired. The following are ways how to incorporate nature, the color trends of 2022, in your home, and why I believe you should fall head over heels for these paint colors.